The end of Kodachrome.

By the time the news hit me, I knew practically nothing about Kodachrome and it's history. I had heard and seen its name everywhere and come to the conclusion that, in fact, it was a very important thing. Immediately I deduced that it was vital for me to shoot my own roll before it was too late to do so and I would never be able to relate to an experience that pretty much every photographer to this day has had. So the game was on. Find Kodachrome. Shoot. Find Lab. Process. Done. Well... it wasn't so simple. No stores were selling Kodachrome anymore, and pretty much every last roll whispered of in clandestine fashion to me had mysteriously disappeared. Furthermore, only one lab in the world had the chemicals to process Kodachrome, and they were in Kansas. I continued my search, until a friend told me of this top secret organization, (shhh.. eBay), where I could find the goods. The merchants were kind enough to ship the film all the way from Kansas, where I would later ship it back to, only for it to be shipped back again. I shot it very quickly. I had to - there were only a few days left before the lab would reject all kodachrome...forever. Finaly, I got notice that my package had been recieved a day before they would have rejected it. I could now rest and go back to South Africa for two months knowing that, by the time I returned, I would have some slides to look at. Surely enough, they arrived in my absense a month and a half late, but this didn't not matter. I finally had some time to scan them into a computer at Camera Traders today. I shot two expired rolls of 36 exposure, 25 ISO slide film. The blue wash is due to the age of the film, but I quite like what I got out of it. Enjoy this series of random events, they all occured within 3 days. On December 31st 2010, Kodachrome died.

After-dark busking.

Last night I was downtown returning some rentals when I ran into this man. His name is Sean Winters. I grabbed some "Sun of the East" tea from serious coffee and went to hang out on the corner which Sean was playing his saxaphone on. It was cold, of course, but he was still hitting all the notes and playing with some serious soul.

It's a tough life; the busking life. I've tried it a few times with my guitar, but I was in no way as motivated as Sean. This is what he does every day of the week. Yes, you read right. Every. Day. Playing the Sax is what he lives for and standing on the corner of city blocks doesn't seem to be a burden for him. Instead, from his awesome vibes, you can tell he's having fun.

It's people like Sean that inspire me tremendously to do what I love. I'm sure some of you out there recognize him - so pay him a visit some time. Grab something warm to drink and enjoy a phenomenal show; he would be more than happy to play a few tunes for you - I promise.


The Erhu and John Gao

So I've come back to my blog for the first time in about 4 hours, and it feels really empty. Now, I don't have enough time tonight to do a full blog entry about a photo shoot I've done but I have just enough time to write a little entry. Something had to be done about it's baron state! 

Right, so in a rush to find something, I sorted through a couple hundred of the photo's I've taken in the last week and found John Gao. Interestingly enough, this is how I found John Gao himself - in a rush to find something. I was renting an 85mm f/1.4 Rikonon lens from camera traders for the weekend so that I could have more flexibility for the Rifflandia gig, and this was the first time I had had to myself to test the lens out in the daylight - as opposed to notoriously lit gig venues. 

The music was great, and only once I had dropped a few coins into his case, did it occur to me that he was a great subject to shoot. In the past, I have had difficulty with shooting buskers, because they wanted coin first, but John Gao was such a friendly fellow I don't think it would have mattered.

Anyways, here is the picture:

 Canon 50D with Rokinon 85mm f1.4 USM - f2.8 at 1/1500 sec at 100 ISO.